Stitched memories: My Maltese tile cushion
I recently made my very first patchwork cushion. A Maltese tile inspiration behind the design.
Growing up, Maltese tiles were always something familiar to me. My father used to make Maltese tiles, so these geometric patters have a very special place in my memories.
When I received the batiks fabrics, I was thinking about what design I could create and if I would go for a quilt or for my cushion. Since it was my very first time I went for a small project, a cushion and a very popular Maltese tile . I started with the design of the pattern. I wanted to keep the character of the original design while making it suitable for a patchwork cushion.
It was a learning experience, especially because it was my first time doing patchwork and even more in creating a pattern.
Influenced by Autumn vibes, I was particularly drawn to these type of colours. The chosen shades worked well with the traditional tile inspired design and gave it a completely different feel from the original cement tile.
There is always a little bit of uncertainty when trying something new. Thankfully, once I saw the finished patchwork, I knew that all those little moments of doubt were worth it.
What I love most about this project is that it represents a connection between the past and the present. My father worked with Maltese tiles, creating patterns with his hands. Today, I work with fabric and thread, creating my own designs through sewing.
In a way, this cushion brought those two worlds together.
It is a reminder that creativity can be passed down in different ways. Sometimes it is not about continuing exactly what someone else did, but about taking the inspiration they left behind and giving it your own meaning.
There are so many Maltese designs that could be interpreted through fabric, patchwork and quilting, and I would love to explore more of them in future projects.
For now, though, I am simply enjoying my first patchwork Maltese tile style cushion.
Thank you for following along with my sewing journey. I hope this project inspires you to look around you and find inspiration in the memories, traditions and places that are special to you.
Until next time . . . take care xx





Comments
Post a Comment